Aside from the busyness of the schedule, I still am able to make time for the Alaskan adventures that I've dreamed about for so long. The last weekend staff was here, I got up at 4 in the morning with 2 of them and went fishing for king salmon, the ultimate Alaskan catch. I ended up catching 3 of them--you would not believe how big these fish get! One of the staff I was with, Wes from Missouri State, hooked one that was pushing 40 lbs. Crazy! Later that day we drove to a place at the end of the road called Echo Cove and I flyfished for pink salmon. We totaled between 35-40, and I was lucky enough to catch about 15. THE GREATEST DAY OF FISHING IN MY LIFE. It was incredible--almost every single cast we were catching fish. I have no idea how I'm going to bring home all of the salmon I have accumulated in my freezer. Haha. If you go to school with me, be expecting to come over and grill salmon at my house this fall. We've also been able to do a bit of hiking--last weekend we backpacked to Eagle glacier and camped on the side of the glacial lake it emptied in to. And last night we were lucky enough to have on of my roommates, David from California, arrange for his boss to take us by boat to an island off the coast of Juneau and drop us off for the evening to camp. It was the most incredible place I've ever camped at in my entire life. Completely secluded, surrounded by ocean, snow-capped mountains, and wildlife. We saw quite a few humpback whales, and even after the sun set we could hear them surfacing and spraying water throughout the night. Everyday here I remind myself how lucky I am to be here--these experiences are ones that I will carry with me the rest of my life. I've got to give all the credit to my supporters though, without whom I would not have been able to have these experiences. It's so amazing how God has provided so abundantly and is truly doing some amazing things in the lives of the guys on Project Foxtrot, as well as in Juneau.
One thing I'm pumped about is that we've been able to coach and assist students on the UAS campus to start their own campus ministry affiliated with Campus Crusade. It's so cool knowing that God is using this summer to impact people long after we are gone, and it's amazing that he has allowed us to be part of the process. There are so many stories from this summer among the guys here that are so incredible and just show how much God is in control. It's so awesome. My assistant director and I have been meeting with the two future student directors of the ministry who will take control after we leave in August, and they are both excited to carry on the ministry when we are gone. The entire summer we have been transitioning the Wednesday night meeting (which looks like a typical Cru meeting involving worship and a speaker) to being lead entirely by students from Juneau. By now our parts in the Wednesday night meeting are minimal, so it's great seeing it Juneauites take control. It's so cool knowing that this has been building for the past 6 years since Juneau Summer Project started, and that people all over the country have been/are praying for this. Over the next few weeks we will continue to build into the future leaders of the campus-ministry. So yea, cool things are happening up here.
Sorry I haven't been able to update as regularly as I would have liked, but from certain time constraints it's just been difficult. I hope this is able to even halfway depict how amazing this summer has been. Only 3 more weeks! Crazy.
wowziers!
ReplyDelete